Tuesday, 11 March 2014

The Very Beginning...

Wow, what an exciting and full on first couple of weeks. A massive learning curve, but thoroughly enjoyable. When I first read the outline for Task 1, I felt extremely overwhelmed with all the jargon and separate components of hyper-linking and attaching pdf documents - to name only a few. The first lecture discussed a number of suitable technologies that could be used to build both the website and blog. I found this very useful and also searched both Google and the Technology Toolbox for Educators site to see what was most commonly used to create a website and blog, free of charge. 

Luckily for me, I have previously created a website using Wix for my Interior Design business Designs for You. This webpage has been a slow work in progress. However, since creating a website for EDN113, I now feel more comfortable with the program and feel I could use it to its true potential to build the profile of my business page. After spending only a short time scoping out Wix and Blogger, I was really enjoying the challenge of creating both a personalised website and blog and worked on them for hours at a time.

The biggest challenge I had was attaching the pdf version of my digital poster to my website. I knew the textbook would not be of help in this instance as it does not cover specific technologies. The next step was to try the help centre on Wix and search my question. The search results under frequently asked questions explained how to do it and it turned out to be a really simple exercise. The image below shows the search results that helped me - even with a logo and title!
Wix Help Centre Search Results
After seeing many students upload a link to their website and blog, I decided to have a browse to see how they had approached the task. When I was viewing both their blogs and the example blog on the LMS, I was confused at how they set up an archives section that split their posts into months. I have posted this question to the Task 1 discussion forum to see if Blogger in particular, automatically does this itself or if I have to set it up myself. This is something I will continue to search for answers for on Google and wait for my peers responses.

I think that a blog would be a great tool in a classroom for students to reflect on their learning. Rather than doing this in notebooks, I would like to use such a technology to have students engaged in the reflection and writing process and to be able to comment on each others blogs to share the learning experience. 

I found an interesting article by the University of Michigan Using Blogs in the Classroom which outlines the possible uses for blogs within the classroom, and how blogging is rewarding and can improve students work and learning. Such uses include a place where quieter and shy students can find their voice; one place for all announcements, assignments and general classroom activities; and in conjunction with a class blog, a individual blog for each student (Morris, n.d.).
Below is an example from the article of a class blog controlled by an instructor where all enrolled students can contribute. In many cases, students also have an individual blog where classmates can comment and contribute.
I think this would make a great learning experience for both the teacher and students - they can teach each other!
Class Blog Example
I am looking forward to adding to my blog as the semester progressing and reflecting on what I have learnt. I have to admit, the blog guidelines have been very helpful as a starting point as I had no idea of what to write. Hopefully in my next few posts I will have found some interesting videos that I can attempt to upload! We can only hope :)

~See you soon~

No comments:

Post a Comment